Free ads

Minister demands full regional backing for free meals program

 Indonesia’s Coordinating Minister for Food Affairs, Zulkifli Hasan, urged all regional governments in the country to fully support the Free Nutritious Meals (MBG) program and safeguard food prices and stocks during Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr.

“Keep in mind that 17 ministries share responsibility for supporting MBG implementation. This leaves no room for local administrations to opt out of the program,” he said in Surabaya, East Java,

Speaking after an MBG coordination meeting at the East Java Governor’s Office, Hasan stressed that the state has made it mandatory for regional governments to contribute to the national priority program, which has served more than 60 million people nationwide.

He argued that support and synergy between ministries and regional governments are essential to ensure the program runs optimally and caters exclusively to targeted recipients: schoolchildren, toddlers, breastfeeding mothers, and pregnant women.

Hasan also urged regional governments to closely monitor food price and stock dynamics, given that volatility typically occurs during Ramadan and ahead of Eid al-Fitr.

He cited President Prabowo Subianto’s directive for government aides to make all-out efforts to prevent price hikes and maintain affordability.

“There need to be extra policies to keep prices stable during Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr,” he affirmed.

Meanwhile, East Java Deputy Governor Emil Dardak highlighted the province’s success in the MBG program, noting that free meals have reached about 8.39 million residents with support from 3,269 kitchens.

“Quality is our top priority. We are striving for hygiene and sanitation certification for MBG kitchens to ensure beneficiary children receive meals that are safe and nutritious,” he said.

He credited the central government for East Java’s MBG achievement, lauding its role in facilitating dialogue and coordination between ministries, district heads, and mayors.

The MBG program was among the key initiatives highlighted by President Prabowo during a forum organized by the United States Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday (Feb. 18), where he underscored its extensive contributions to human development and economic growth.

Addressing US business leaders, the president noted that each of the roughly 23,000 MBG kitchens already established is estimated to employ about 50 workers and absorb significant volumes of food commodities from local farmers and livestock breeders.

Launched on January 6 last year, the program aims to serve at least 82 million people nationwide by the end of 2026. The government has announced plans to extend the program to the elderly and people with disabilities this year.

0 Response to "Minister demands full regional backing for free meals program"

Post a Comment